Monday, January 7, 2013

An Honest Look At The Concealed Carry Purse


by Carrie Lightfoot - Guest Contributor

The Concealed Carry Purse, people either love them or they hate them. To carry your firearm in a concealed carry purse is your decision to make and there is no right or wrong answer. What there is though, is what is recommended. You are an intelligent woman who can consider all of the information, the risks and the pro's and con's and make an intelligent decision for yourself if a concealed carry purse is right for you. Why do so many fiercely counsel against this popular mode of carry? Likely for two reasons. One, there is serious risk anytime our guns are not on our bodies and two, it limits our ability to respond as quickly as possible and those seconds could count! These are very real issues that must be considered and consciously accepted by you when making the decision to holster your gun in a concealed carry purse. I trust you will do this.



What do I think about concealed carry purses? First, I must tell you that I believe my role is to provide information and resources and let you make your own decisions. My opinion is just that, my opinion and really only matters to me in making the decision for myself. What do I know? I know that awareness and practice are key. Do I carry in a concealed carry purse? Yes, sometimes I do. Why? Because there are times that if I didn't, I wouldn't have my gun with me, and that is not an option for me. (As long as it is legal) 
I know myself - I know my capabilities - and I practice. Having your gun holstered somewhere ON your middle is BEST. It is close, it is safe and it easy to get to. You really can't argue with that. On The Body is the safest and best way to carry your gun, Period! Can you carry safely in a concealed carry purse, yes you can. The proper purse, meticulous awareness, and practice drawing/shooting from one is the key. 


When choosing to carry in a concealed carry purse, here are some questions you might ask yourself in making this decision:



  1. Am I forgetful?
  2. Have I left my purse behind in the last 6 months, in the restroom, a restaurant or store?
  3. Am I around small children regularly who might have access to my purse?
  4. Am I willing to carry my purse cross-body to minimize risk of someone taking my purse?
  5. Can I keep it on me and store it properly when it must be off my body?
  6. Will I vow to always have my gun in a holster in a designated compartment of the purse?
  7. Am I disciplined enough to practice the awkward draw and use of my gun from the concealed carry purse? (yes, you may very likely need to shoot through the purse to not loose the precious seconds)

These are just a handful of important questions to ask yourself. It is your decision, one that it is important you make honestly and thoughtfully. If you can't answer these questions with confidence, than even if you think this is the best option for you because of the convenience, it likely is not a good choice for you.







Carrie Lightfoot is owner of The Well Armed Woman and quest contributor for the Beretta Blog. Join the dynamic group of women shooters on Facebook orTwitter and visit www.thewellarmedwoman.com

Make sure you follow Beretta on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube

This post and its contents are the views and opinions of the author only, and do not necessarily represent Beretta.




2 comments:

  1. I prefer to carry on my person. I feel that when you carry in your purse you are not in 'complete control' of your firearm in addition to the scenario of a criminal snatching your purse, then you are SOL.

    While I prefer not to carry in my purse- If my outfit does not allow me to conceal, I would rather have it in my purse than not at all. If I have to carry in my purse- I would rather it be a concealed carry purse than a normal purse. Concealed carry purses have the proper compartments and thought put into them.

    Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since this is the Beretta Blog I wanted to let you all know that my genuine Crocodile and Ostrich concealed carry handbags are available for purchase at the Beretta Gallery in Highland Park Village, Dallas Texas. Kate Woolstenhulme photos are on our website DesignerConcealedCarry.com

    ReplyDelete